This job is archived
Pediatrician job in the greater Norfolk, Virginia region.
The job is a civilian position within the extensive military medical system that provides services to the active duty military service members, military retirees, and their families via hospital based pediatrics services and numerous clinics in the region.
Our employees are our best assets! Come join our team of healthcare professionals where you are valued!
Pediatrician job Overview:
- Participate in peer review and performance improvement activities.
- Practice aseptic techniques as necessary. Comply with infection control guidelines to include the proper handling, storage, and disposal of infectious wastes, and the use of universal precautions to prevent the spread of infection.
- Perform efficiently in emergency patient situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons, and documenting events. Anticipate potential problems/emergencies and make appropriate interventions.
- Perform timely, accurate, and concise documentation of patient care.
- Operate and manipulate automated systems such as CHCS, AHLTA, ADS, Essentris, and Clinical Information System (CIS), participate in clinical staff Performance Improvement (PI) and Risk Management (RM) functions, as prescribed by the Commander. Maintain DOD email account as directed. The HCW shall be responsive to all email and voicemail communications.
- Exercise appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the direction and coordination of health care team members, patient care, and clinic activities.
- Attend high risk deliveries and lead the NRP team in our Level 1 nursery, care for well newborns and stabilize and care for sick infants until transport arrives.
- Perform circumcisions.
- Perform a full range of Pediatric Physician services for pediatric patients (under 22 years old) on-site in a General Pediatrics Clinic, Level 1 Newborn Nursery.
- Provide a full range of pediatric medicine services (e.g., clinically oversee and provide general screening and medical care and examinations of adolescents for routine, acute and chronic conditions involving any and all organ systems; provide immunizations; diagnose, treat, and counsel, developmental and learning disabilities (cerebral palsy, mental retardation, birth defects, ADHD, emotional problems and adjustments, and child abuse and neglect; etc.)).
- Clinically oversee, perform, or assist in the instruction of, other health care professionals seeing children (e.g., Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS); diagnostic procedures; and minor surgical procedures such as incisions and drainage of abscesses, suture simple lacerations; etc.).
- Clinically oversee and teach other medical staff. Provide educational lectures and participate in the provision of in-service training to clinic staff members. Such direction and interaction will adhere to government and professional clinical standards and accepted clinical protocol.
- Assess, diagnose and treat infectious disease, allergies, and metabolic, neurological, endocrine, cardiac, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, hematological, renal and musculoskeletal and emotional disorders.
- Provide age appropriate patient/parent education on diseases, conditions, procedures, medications, prevention and wellness.
- In out-patient setting, perform well child examinations, sports physicals, and general pediatrics acute visits. In in-patient setting, perform NRP resuscitation, UVC placement, circumcisions, and lumbar
- Order and interpret diagnostic and testing procedures to include laboratory and radiological examinations.
- Provide clinical advice and consultation to colleagues, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and medical support staff.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) by AHA
- Licensure: Current, full, active, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in any U.S. jurisdiction. Active, unrestricted.
- 1 year experience within the last two years as a Pediatrician
- Board Certification: Pediatrics by ABP
Position contingent on contract award with an estimated May 2019 start date. Come join our team of healthcare professionals!