Job was saved successfully.
Job was removed from Saved Jobs.
Provides professional services to diagnosis and treatment of inmate patients. Renders medical judgement regarding care provided to inmates assigned to the unit. Works under general direction of the Unit Medical Director, with wide latitude to exercise initiative and independent judgment. Directly supervises 2 to 4 Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners in the unit health services.
- Adhere to institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for providing primary ambulatory medical care to the offenders of TDCJ. This includes taking an appropriate patient history, examination of patients, ordering lab or x-ray as clinically indicated, and planning and execution of treatment. Requires special knowledge and skills in general adult medicine, orthopedics, and emergency medicine.
- Provides an environment conductive to safety and security for patients, visitors, and employees. Assesses the risk to the patient and employee safely and implements appropriate standards of patient care as well as policies of TTUHSC and TDCJ-ID.
- Utilizes the appropriate leadership skills in delegating and directing nursing staff.
- May perform minor surgical and orthopedic procedures commensurate with medical competency.
- Refers patients to medical specialists when appropriate and necessary, and coordinates medical care with said specialists.
- Provides immediate care for medical emergencies of offenders, employees and on-site visitors.
- Participate in regional after hours call.
- Requires special knowledge and skills in general medicine, orthopedics, and emergency medicine.
- Ability to work under pressure and to maintain patience and self control under these conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Supervises and coordinates efforts by other physicians, and physician extenders assigned to this unit.
- Provides coverage for appropriate and timely care to infirmary patients admitted to the unit. Manages bed space appropriately.
View Req 12744BR : Correctional Physician H91857
|+License/Certifications:+ * Current license to practice medicine by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners. * Current Drug Enforcement Agency and Texas Department of Public Safety controlled substances registration certificates.
|As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) is a nationally recognized leader in correctional health care, providing health coverage for more than 32,000 state offenders in West Texas.
In 1989, TTUHSC began providing health services for offenders housed in Texas Department of Criminal Justice correctional facilities.
Our high standard of service is evidenced by the fact that all...