Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
The Regional Medical Director (RMD) is a key member of the Market Leadership and Management Team who shares responsibility for decision making and outcomes in the market with the other members of the market team. The RMD is responsible for improving the quality and efficiency of medical care in his/her market(s) and leading the provider network (both employed and contracted). The Regional Medical Director is also responsible for mentoring all assigned Medical Directors in their leadership development.
- Oversees and manages the Market Leadership team and ensures assigned market deliverables are implemented in an effective and timely manner
- Develops and maintain a collegial relationship with physicians (employed and contracted) in order to support the business efforts of the organization
- Implement market specific initiatives and ensures that processes and procedures are aligned with the business model
- Drives improvement of quality indicators in assigned market by identifying, directing, and executing continuous quality improvement activities or processes
- Oversees and manages the assigned Medical Directors as well as provides leadership and mentoring in the establishment of departmental objectives related to staffing plans, financial goals, etc.
- Mentors all Medical Directors and help develop them as a leader within the market management and leadership team
- Perform annual evaluations of assigned Medical Directors and Associate Medical Director and other providers as directed
- Participate in Committees, as needed
- Collaborates with Market Operations and Provider Relations staff in the market(s)
- Assists in the identification of potential physician practice acquisitions in assigned market
- Partnering with the Clinical Affordability team to support new innovative approaches to making healthcare more efficient and meaningful to PCPs and patients alike; ultimately bending the cost curve in region
- Developing and cascading clinical outcome/improvement messaging to business units to foster tighter working culture
- Helping set agendas/strategies and leading multifaceted teams of Physician Business Managers, Risk Adjustment RNs, and Quality RNs
- Assist driving aligned performance in largely an independently contracted provider network through the development of meaningful relationships, financial and quality incentives, best practices, forward thinking solutions to improve our value proposition to medical providers
- Assist in the identification and development of current/new best practices in support of continuous financial and quality improvement
- Serve as an integral dyad partner interfacing with Corporate level support divisions, to include: Quality, Risk Adjustment, Cost and Care and Patient Support Unit (PSU)
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
- Current board certification
- Active, unrestricted medical license in applicable state(s), or ability to obtain licenses rapidly
- Valid DEA
- 5+ years of clinical experience, including 3+ years of experience as a Medical Director
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 3+ years of managed care experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Medical Director
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to push or pull heavy objects using up to 50 pounds of force
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use fine motor skills to operate office equipment and/or machinery
- Ability to properly drive and operate a company vehicle
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
WellMed was founded in 1990 with a vision of being a physician-led company that could change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors. Through the WellMed Care Model, we specialize in helping our patients stay healthy by providing the care they need from doctors who care about them. We partner with multiple Medicare Advantage health plans in Texas and Florida and look forward to continuing growth.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.