This job is archived
PrimeCare Medical, Inc. (i.e., PCM) has been in operation since 1986. We are a privately owned, physician founded, nationally accredited correctional healthcare practice.
PCM provides comprehensive medical, mental health, & dental care services to over 80 county jails, prisons, and juvenile detention centers throughout the states of PA, MD, WV, NY, & NH; and was voted one of the Top 50 Fastest Growing Companies of 2019, 2020, & 2021 by the Central PA Business Journal
Correctional health care is a unique, challenging, and exciting opportunity for today’s medical professional in that it provides the ability to truly utilize all your learned medical skills and knowledge daily. It is the perfect hybrid of Primary Care, Urgent Care, Emergency Medicine, and Addiction Medicine; providing care to an under-served, diverse, and appreciative patient population.
We are currently looking for a Full-Time Float/Travel Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner to join our team and provide on-site medical care at the:
- Snyder County Prison in Selinsgrove, PA;
- Perry County Prison in New Bloomfield, PA;
- Schuylkill County Prison in Pottsville, PA;
- Carbon County Correctional Center in Nesquehoning, PA; and
- Other PrimeCare facilities within a reasonable commute from this geographic area.
This is a very flexible full-time position, requiring 40 hours of on-site medical care per week (inclusive of travel time) between all these facilities, Monday – Friday, during normal business hours (i.e., ~8:00a- 4:30p). Based on proximity/location to your home, a company vehicle & fuel card may be available.
Some important key points:
- Salaries are negotiable and commensurate based on experience.
- Company-paid family health care offered (i.e., medical/prescription/dental/vision).
- Company-paid life insurance provided (i.e., additional elective life insurance/STD/LTD benefits offered).
- Retirement benefits offered (i.e., 401k with discretionary company match).
- Company-paid liability insurance (including tail coverage) provided.
- Generous PTO & Holiday package provided.
- Annual licensure reimbursement offered.
- Unlimited company-paid CME technology provided.
In this role the PA or NP will be performing physical examinations on all newly incarcerated inmates/patients, as well as evaluating sick inmates/patients, and present your observations to the attending physician.
You will be responsible for performing a variety of duties such as suturing and administering injections and medications, drawing blood samples, and evaluate of diagnostic findings. Other responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring complete, accurate and timely medical entries are made for each inmate/patient contact.
- Providing counseling and education on common medical problems.
- Performing histories and physicals on all newly committed inmates/patients in accordance with NCCHC/ACA Standards, facility requirements, and PCM policies and procedures.
- Complying with standards of care in accordance with NCCHC/ACA and accepted healthcare standards.
- Developing and conducting in-service education programs according to annual in-service calendar, as assigned by PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator.
- Reviewing inmate/patient records to determine health status and initiate necessary treatment.
- Screening inmate/patient sick call requests to determine appropriate follow up care.
- Evaluating inmate/patients at sick call for common complaints.
- Ordering appropriate laboratory tests and X-rays.
- Ordering specialty consultations when indicated.
- Providing other services as required at the request of the PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator.
- Providing ongoing, continuous care for inmates/patients with chronic medical problems such as asthma, hypertension, and diabetes.
- Collecting specimens for and carrying out commonly performed blood, urine, and stool analyses and cultures.
- Evaluating and initiating treatment in emergency situations such as cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, hemorrhage, burns, and injuries.
- Prescribing therapeutic modalities such as medications and diets in accordance with regulations.
This position is exciting and fast paced, and as such we must have someone who is able to multi-task well and has excellent time management skills. They must also have the ability to work independently and be comfortable with making patient diagnosis on their own.