STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the Physician Assistant position to work full-time providing health care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC's mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and
removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
2. Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
3. May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
4. May be required to see patients outside of his/her expertise but within his/her scope of practice.
5. Completes age appropriate history and physical assessment for routine, acute, chronic and complex medical conditions.
6. Performs physical assessments on patients, to include but not limited to gynecologic, EKGs, and/or neurological exams.
7. Assess, treat and evaluate patients who represent with medical complaints during sick call, walk-ins and/or chronic care clinics.
8. Provides emergency and First Aid treatment to include but not limited to suturing, when required.
9. Performs minor surgical procedures as needed.
10. Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities.
11. On a weekly or as needed basis, reviews/re-evaluates cases requiring ongoing medical/pharmaceutical intervention.
12. Complete orders recommended/authorized by the physician.
13. Plant and reads tuberculin skin test (purified protein derivative - PPD) and provides Direct Observation Therapy (DOT) of INH/B6 to those residents requiring it.
14. Provides relevant patient health education to residents verbally and/or with handouts.
15. Documents and update medical/psychiatric Problem List in the resident's medical record and initiates a treatment plan.
16. Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team members regarding the health care needs of the residents and coordinate referrals to off-site providers as required.
17. Maintains safety when ordering/dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
18. Properly disposes of all sharps to include but not limited to needles and syringes according to hazardous waste, infection control and safety guidance.
19. Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis as needed.
20. Collect blood, urine, sputum, culture specimens, etc. and performs laboratory analysis for early detection of communicable and/or other contagious diseases.
21. Orders and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests relative to the resident's age-specific needs.
22. Initiate direct and indirect action to isolate and quarantine cases and provide health, safety and treatment/management for all employees and patients at the facility when
contagious/communicable illnesses have been identified.
23. If a Short Stay Medical Health Unit is onsite, incumbent may do daily rounds on patients and notify the Clinical Director, Staff Physician, or Clinical Services Manager of any abnormal findings.
24. May assist with providing radiological services according to the scope of practice in the state licensed. These services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
25. Consult with Clinical Services Manage, Clinical Director or staff physician for management of complex medical conditions.
26. Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
27. Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
28. Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
29. Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
30. Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
31. Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
32. Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC's Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
33. Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
34. Other duties as assigned.
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
IHSC operates 365/24/7 you may be required to respond telephonically during emergency call back roster activation.
1. This full time position is required to provide rotational on-call coverage and may need to return to the facility during non-core hours to provide care.
2. This full time position requires availability to work day and evening shifts. Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
1. The Department of Homeland Security's Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render a Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
2. A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial and subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
1. Strong oral and written communication skills.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills.
3. Critical thinking skills
4. Cultural competency.
5. Integrity and honesty.
6. Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
7. Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
1. Graduate from an accredited Physician Assistant program located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory. Must be accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessors.
2. Must have a minimum of six months of clinical provider experience in direct patient care as a licensed Physician Assistant, or the approval of IHSC's Medical Director based on the receiving sites ability to mentor and teach the newly licensed provider.
1. Must have an unrestricted, current Physician Assistant license in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
2. Board Certification as a Physician Assistant by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
* Candidates not board certified at the time of hiring must be presented to the IHSC Medical Director for concurrence.
* Physician Assistants not completing board certification within 18 months of hire will not be considered qualified.
3. This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
4. Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of and ability to apply professional principles, procedures, and techniques for Physician Assistants to patient care.
2. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics when prescribing and dispensing medication.
3. Practical knowledge of laboratory procedures and guideline; skill in collecting a variety of samples.
4. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
5. Teaching experience acknowledging a level of expertise and capacity for developing and accessing clinical educational programs.
6. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
7. Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
8. Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
9. Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
10. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
11. Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
12. Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
13. Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
1. Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
2. Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
3. Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
4. Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
5. Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
6. Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
7. Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
8. Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical limitations.
9. Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set forth by the contract vendor.
Technical oversight will be provided by the Government Technical Monitor (GTM).
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers a competitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.