MUSC Health – Columbia Medical Center Downtown is seeking an Advanced Practice Provider interested in working full-time in the outpatient and inpatient care of cardiology patients. The APP will provide quality care for patients, coordinate care, evaluate new and established patients in the clinic, and assist with peer-to-peer approvals. MUSC Health – Columbia Medical Centers’ Heart and Vascular Division is best known for its expertise in cardiac care and serves as a nationally-recognized referral center for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiac disease. MUSC Health Heart and Vascular strives to be a leader of innovative therapies for patients with acute and chronic cardiac disease and to be the provider of choice for cardiac care in the Midlands. It has received the Society of Thoracic Surgeons “highest rated Award” of 3 stars, 20 times in a row. It is also accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers and is a BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Distinction Center for Cardiac Care.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Salaried/Exempt
Hours per week: 40
Scheduled Work Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday, 7:30am- 4:30pm. Some call required.
Patient Population Focus
Outpatient & Inpatient
Patient Population Age Range
Required Minimum Training and Experience Training
Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant or completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as an APRN as noted below.
APRN License Type/Certification:
- AGPNP/ANP (Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP or Adult NP): Adult pts (13 years to death), stable chronic disease state management or primary care setting.
- FNP (Family NP): (birth to death) Stable chronic disease state management, primary care across the lifespan.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a PA, FNP or ANP
Preferred Training and Experience
Training: Physician Assistant (PA) or if APRN, License Type/Certification identified below:
- AGACNP/ACNP (Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner): Adult pts (13 years to death), acutely ill or injured, potentially unstable, or technologically dependent (vents, drips, monitors, etc.)
Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ as a PA, AGACNP or ACNP, cardiology and electrophysiology experience preferred.
Degree of Supervision
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant will be assigned a Primary Supervising/Collaborating Physician employed by MUSC and will report directly to this physician.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations: (All certifications must be current and complete prior to start date):
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) required for adult inpatient positions
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) required for pediatric inpatient positions
- If applicable, DHEC and DEA license applications must be started prior to first day
Job Duties: (Provides direct care to patients through the following activities):
- Takes comprehensive history and performs physical examinations
- Evaluates and treats on the basis of history, physical examination, radiological, laboratory, and other diagnostic test results pursuant to the practice agreement or scope of practice guideline
- Initiates referrals to other health care provides, and/or consults with the attending physician or the collaborating physician
- Documents and bills for direct care provided
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization
- Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education
- Potential to precept students at MUSC enrolled as an advanced practice provider student; and facilitates the learning of other new team members
- APRN or PA must maintain licenses, certifications, CNEs/CMEs, etc. as required by applicable policies and state law
Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36" to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.