Hamilton Health Care System is a not for profit, fully united system of care serving the northwest Georgia region. Hamilton Medical Center, is a 282-bed regional acute-care hospital which offers major medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including award-winning, accredited stroke, chest pain centers, Peeples Cancer Institute and Anna Shaw Children's Institute. Known for its advanced care and personalized service, Hamilton Health Care System offers innovative treatment options in state-of-the-art facilities while maintaining a compassionate, friendly and tranquil healing environment.
In the type of cooperative partnership that would be repeated time and again in the years to come, the area’s largest employers, local doctors, and area citizens came together to fill a community need. Crown Cotton Mills, Elk Mills and several physicians donated property and funds for a new $75,000 hospital. Individuals and organizations furnished rooms.
The long-awaited Hamilton Memorial Hospital, named for Crown Cotton Mills founder George W. Hamilton, Sr., was dedicated May 12, 1921 on National Hospital Day. It remained there until 1956, when Hamilton relocated from downtown Dalton to its present day location on Memorial Drive.
Throughout the subsequent decades, Hamilton has grown in size and sophistication to become, not only a source of pride for the region, but a reputable, regional healthcare system offering advanced facilities, equipment and programming to the growing communities it serves.
Today, Hamilton Health Care System is still making history. It has thrived through challenging and unpredictable shifts in the healthcare environment without losing sight of its charitable mission to advance the quality and dignity of life for all residents. With several notable development projects on the horizon, including a new regional cancer institute, Hamilton is once again raising the bar for health care in the region.