Columbia Memorial Health
Columbia Memorial Health
CMH believes in hiring and retaining the best-qualified and knowledgeable professionals to achieve our mission to provide our communities with safe, high-quality comprehensive health care services in a dignified and compassionate environment. CMH provides a positive atmosphere with innovative and committed employees where their skills are utilized and appreciated. We invite you to join a growing team dedicated to providing expert patient care, to work with talented staff and experience unlimited opportunity for personal and professional growth.
2015 to present
New healthcare network named Columbia Memorial Health launches in 2015. Framed by the Greene Medical Arts campus in Catskill and the Hospital campus in Hudson, CMH is home to more than 40 primary and specialty care centers in Columbia, Greene and Dutchess counties.
CMH and Albany Medical Center finalized of an affiliation agreement in 2016 that is yielding numerous benefits for patients and staff.
CMH receives the “Get With The Guidelines” Stroke Gold-Plus Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for the treatment of stroke patients.
Dr. Christopher Gorczynski, Dr. Nikolay Samedov and Dr. Samira Khera are featured as Top Doctors in Hudson Valley Magazine’s newly released annual round-up of outstanding local physicians.
2012 – 2013
The Rapid Care Center opens in Valatie, staffed by board-certified and emergency-trained physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants and is open 7 days a week.
Kinderhook Medical Care and Valatie Family Care, affiliates of CMH, move to a new facility at the Ocean State Job Lots Plaza on Route 9 in Valatie.
CMH announces the purchase of the Greene Medical Arts Center (GMA) building in Catskill, with over 110,000 square feet of space situated on six acres.
Neurosurgery & Spine Opens at CMH.
2009 – 2010
The Women’s Health Center introduces minimally invasive, total laparoscopic hysterectomies for shorter hospital stays, minimal pain and discomfort, and quicker recoveries.
The Prompt Care area achieves a 90-minute average turnaround time from arrival to discharge.
Generous donations and grants help CMH expand our growing healthcare network, including $20,000 to address obesity in children and adults, $150,000 to retain physicians in New York state, $190,000 for an automated medication administration system, and $265,416 to provide direct personal services to victims of crimes.
Our $3 million Intensive Care Unit (ICU) expansion and renovation is completed.
A grant of $1 million from the State of New York helps connect physician offices and area nursing homes to the hospital electronically, enabling the professional staff to instantly communicate critical patient information between the hospital and the other facilities as needed.
CMH submits an application to become a Designated Stroke Center, already having implemented new stroke protocols.
The Bone & Joint Center becomes part of our hospital’s network of primary care and specialty practices to expand orthopedic services and recruit more experts in our area.
CMH initiates its Mobile Dental Van, which travels to area schools, in both Columbia and Greene counties, to improve the dental health of children in our area.
Inpatient and outpatient volumes increase, demonstrating the increasing support of the Columbia-Greene Community. Having these services on campus in our new Medical Office Building makes accessing medical care convenient for patients. Having leaders in their respective medical fields on staff at Columbia Memorial Hospital provides a firm foundation for delivering high-quality healthcare.
Using $1 million dollars of federal grant money, renovation of the Intensive Care Unit begins. The new ICU will provide more space for each patient in order to accommodate cutting edge technology at each bedside.
2003 – 2006
CMH continues to consolidate local hospital-based practices into one efficient unit, establishing convenient outpatient services on campus. The result is the Medical Office Building with a parking garage to facilitate patient access and convenience, and increase physician convenience.
Renovations to the Memorial Wing (1970s) on the fourth floor are completed, and a Hospice Unit created courtesy of the T. Backer Fund. Donations fund the construction of a Child Advocacy Center to provide space for child friendly rooms designed to alleviate trauma, and expedite the healing process assisting child victims of abuse.
Columbia Memorial becomes one of the first to offer state-of-the-art digital mammography technology and introduces a Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS) for archiving medical images.
More than 4,000 surgical cases were performed and 500 babies were delivered. There were 45,400 outpatient visits and 63,650 Family Care Center visits. CMH continues to invest annually in facilities and equipment including a $1.3 million state-of-the-art angiography suite, declared by interventional radiologists to be the best facility in the region.
The Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery and a Pain Management Program is inaugurated and Ghent Family Care Center opens.
Columbia Memorial becomes the first area hospital to provide laparoscopic banding surgery for obese patients.
1999 – 2001
The Kellner Wing opens, housing state-of-the-art Emergency Department and Surgical Services Department. Transfusion Free Medicine and Surgery Program (one of only 130 in the nation) opens.
Columbia Memorial Hospital receives the VISTA Award for The Family Birth Place by the American Society of Healthcare Engineers.
Cavell Cancer Project begins. Palatine Family Care Center in Germantown and Cairo Family Care Centers open.
Hudson Family Care Center opens to provide primary care services to the local Hudson population. The Family Birth Place is established as the newest and most contemporary regional birthing center on the second floor of the hospital.
Broadway Family Care Center opens in Red Hook.
A Master Facility Plan was prepared by Donald Blair, a hospital architecture specialist, and a $10 million project was undertaken. CMH reached out to the community and participated with other organizations to bring more people into contact with the hospital. A Community Health Service Department was created to improve access to services and eliminate duplication throughout the two counties.
The mid-1990s brought significant change, including a new administration and name change. The Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the hospital back to Columbia Memorial Hospital to emphasize its role as a community hospital, and the personalized care not prevalent in large medical centers.
A major investment in technically advanced equipment was made, resulting in a completely updated radiology department including a state-of-the-art CT scanner, a SPECT unit in nuclear medicine, new mammography equipment and new diagnostic and fluoroscopy equipment.
In the late 1980s, facilitated by the State Department of Health, Columbia Memorial Hospital and Greene County Community Hospital merged into a single institution called Columbia-Greene Medical Center. They decided to move the merged entity onto one site and close the facility in Greene County. Operations were phased onto the Hudson campus.
The hospital expanded to 186 beds by the early 1970s with approximately 7,000 discharges per year and 700 births. A $5.5 million dollar project was undertaken to eliminate the need for the original 1900 building. Operating rooms and patient rooms were renovated to accommodate piped in oxygen, suction and compressed air.
By 1980, admissions had dropped to 6,000 per year and patient days had decreased because of a shortened length of stay.
Between 1920 and 1950, additional space was annexed to the hospital, accommodating the School of Nursing dormitory and an additional 45 beds for a total capacity of 153 beds. The name was changed to Columbia Memorial Hospital in 1949 to reflect services to the entire Columbia County area.
The hospital moved to its present site between Prospect and Columbia Streets and had a capacity of 108 beds. A School of Nursing was also established to supply nurses for the growing hospital.
Hudson City Hospital was incorporated in 1889, opening with six beds, a fracture table and ten physicians on staff. The hospital was treating approximately 75 patients a year by 1896.